Sunday, November 17, 2013

- - Saffron Rouge Inner Circle | November 2013 Review - -


Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a lovely & relaxing weekend.
 
A few days ago I received my very first Saffron Rouge Inner Circle box.

("Saffron Rouge" - that name just rolls off the tongue beautifully!)

Ever since I became interested in subscription boxes I've been reading up about various ones to see if they ship to Canada or not. After reading several reviews of Saffron Rouge's Inner Circle, I finally decided to take a plunge and sign up. Honestly, I'm pretty happy that I decided to do so. Saffron Rouge is an online eco-friendly & organic retailer that - from what I can tell - has only recently started up a monthly subscription box.



 
I haven't found any other reviews about the November box yet, so I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this...but I was totally blown away by the products for this month! Next to Luxe Box, this may just be my favourite subscription.

Read further for a more in-depth review...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Saffron Rouge?
Saffron Rouge is an online eco-friendly & organic retailer (that operates in Canada) whose monthly subscription, Inner Circle, provides deluxe samples of products from organic beauty brands around the world. 

Frequency: monthly 
Cost: $24.99 + tax (in total, I am charged ~$28) 
Ships To: Canada, U.S., internationally 
Bonus: A 10%-20% off discount code comes with every box

Unlike many subscription services, Inner Circle products are not curated for each individual. Instead, the products are curated around a theme. Although everyone gets the same products (colours may vary), the items are pretty versatile in their use.

Rewards Program: Saffron Rouge has a rewards program that is conveniently available to all of its customers. As you order from Saffron Rouge, an account is automatically created for you that is associated with the email that you order with. For every 2,750 points you earn, you are able to redeem a $50 gift certificate that is transferable and never expires. I'm not sure how many points you earn with regular purchases (some items will offer bonus points), but you do get 75 points for every Inner Circle package you purchase.


Other Inner Circle reviews:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


As I mentioned before, I've been reading reviews about boxes from the past months, and it seems like for the November box Saffron Rouge may have changed their packaging. Instead of a vertical package, I got one that looks like...well, a box!

No matter the shape, I still loved this box!

The first thing that struck me when I opened the package was the lovely smell coming from the box. I can't translate that to you in any way, so you'll just have to trust me on this one. 



First peek:



What's funny is that I took out all the products that I could see until I was left with this...


...only to find that there were more products hiding underneath!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Overview of Products



If I had to use one word to describe these products, it would be this - revitalizing. A lot of the products seem to be focused to hydrating the skin and bringing it back to life from the dryness of the winter months. There seem to be quite a few German brands featured in this box.

1) Sea Buckthorn Creamy Body Wash (Weleda)
     Sample size: FULL SIZE (200mL/6.8fl.oz for $17.50 CAD)
      
- Link to product -


I've had a chance to use this a couple of times. The body wash feels light, has a citrusy smell, and it didn't dry out my skin.

2) Concentrated Nourishing Toner (Suki)
     Sample size: foil packets  //  Full size: 120mL/4fl.oz for $31.50 (CAD)  


- Link to product -



 I haven't tried out these samples yet, but I've heard great things about the Suki line.


3) Revitalizing Nourishing Cream (Primavera)
     Sample size: 8mL/0.27fl.oz  //  Full Size: 30mL/1fl.oz for $60.00 (CAD)


- Link to product -




I love the little 'not tested on animals' symbol!
I handed this sample off to my mom, who - to be completely honest - does not need any kind anti-aging products because she looks quite well for her young age of 43. I haven't yet checked up on how she's doing with this product.

4) Wild Cherry Blossom Rice Buff (red flower)
     Sample size: FULL SIZE (57g/2fl.oz for $25.95 CAD)


- Link to product -





 
When I first opened up the package that contained my Saffron Rouge box, the cherry blossom scent that I commented on above came from this product. Basically, this is a bag full of rice bran that is meant to be soaked in the warm water of your bath. Afterwards, you are meant to pat the bag on your skin, which will release a 'silky liquid' that moisturizes your skin. The last line of the directions on the Saffron Rouge page says to "let bag hang from skin to dry." This is kind of a confusing sentence, but I think it means for you to use the little rope that it comes with and hang it on your arm to dry...or something. I haven't used this product yet, but judging by the reviews, you can only use it a few times before it becomes moldy...yikes.

- EDIT (December 16, 2013) -
I still haven't used the rice buff product for its intended purpose, but I wanted to take a minute to explain to you how I have been using it. The rice buff is meant for your bath; however, I'm pretty sure it'll only last you a couple of times before you have to throw it out. Instead, I've been using this product as a kind of air freshener. The cherry blossom scent is strong enough for me to put it in a small space and have the pleasant smell transfer over to the items around it. So for example, you could put the box (without taking the rice buff out) in an underwear drawer and soon enough your underwear will have a lovely cherry blossom smell. Neat, right? :)

5) Daily Glow Antioxidant Serum (Nürish Organics)
     Sample size: FULL SIZE (30mL/1fl.oz for $62.00 CAD....WOW!!)
 
- Link to product -



Wow! My mind blows when I think about the fact that I got a product worth $62 in a box that cost me $28. What a deal! Saffron Rouge is currently taking preorders on this product. This serum is now available for purchase on the Saffron Rouge site.

Now, having said all of that, I have to confess - I don't really like how this product smells. Anyone who has ever taken oregano oil drops for medicinal purposes will know that the oregano oil tastes pretty awful. This product (please don't ingest it!) is basically the scent version of that taste, if that makes sense. At least, in my opinion. In any case, when I first smelled this serum, I was reminded of Buckley's commercials - "It Tastes Awful. And It Works."

Saffron Rouge describes this product as "best for those who have experienced sun damage and the early signs of aging." They follow with, "long-term use will promote healthy, glowing skin and reduce signs of aging due to environmental stress." ...Neat!

I've had a chance to try this product out slightly and it's kind of interesting. Depending on the amount you use, I find that it does absorb fairly quickly; not right away, but soon thereafter. I'm not really used to using any kind of serums, so it'll be an interesting product to work with. 

- EDIT -
At this point, I've been using the Weleda body wash and the Daily Glow serum on a fairly constant basis. I'm actually pretty happy with both products. I can't really say much about the body wash because I don't really see that much of a difference from other body washes (maybe I'm just not looking hard enough), but it is really nice knowing that what I'm using is made from natural ingredients rather than harmful chemicals - plus, it smells nice!

My skin has been struggling pretty badly with the cold this year. I've been noticing my hands become dry really quickly, and although I've been trying my best to use hand creams, I think I'm gradually losing this battle. I've also been noticing that my face needs a lot of moisturizing because it has a tendency to become dry. The Daily Glow serum is actually really great for hydration. I've been using the tiniest amount of it just before I go to bed. I rub it in, go to sleep, and wake up with soft, healthy-looking, and moisturized skin. Today I slept for roughly 7 hours and when I woke up the serum absorbed into my skin completely...although it could've just rubbed off on my bed sheets as well :P. In all seriousness though, the serum does absorb fairly quickly. I'm not sure if it would be good under makeup because it doesn't absorb right away, but I think just before bedtime is probably the best time to use it.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:
I think all I really need to say is - Daily Glow Serum. I can see myself trying out all of these products, with the exception of the one that I gave to my mom. Adding up the three full-sized products comes to $105.45, so this was definitely an excellent box - especially knowing that I paid only $28 for it. This is only the first box that I've received so far, so hopefully Saffron Rouge continues this stellar subscription service in the same fashion!

Thank you for reading & I hope you have a lovely Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment