Tuesday, May 27, 2014

- - Teacup Tuesday | Week 1 - -


Hey everyone!

I have decided to start up a weekly series called Teacup Tuesday. The concept for this series came to me when I was brainstorming " _____-a-day" ideas that I could start up. Trying out a new tea every day for a month and then documenting it sounded like a great project, but I wanted to keep things casual and nonobligatory. Instead, what I'm doing is this - every Tuesday I will give you a recap of the various kinds of new teas I tried the week prior. I'll include tons of pictures and hopefully we'll get to talk about tea together in the comments. :)

Let's take a look at the teas I tried this week after the jump...


*Click on the photos to enlarge them.*

1 || Orange Pekoe | Tata Tea || Black


What better way to begin a tea series than with the most classic tea of all? I've been drinking Orange Pekoe since I was a little girl, and it's definitely the go-to tea for the members of my family (who can have as many as 6-7 cups of tea a day!). My love for tea has definitely branched out in the past four years, but I still go back to this classic favourite.

2 || Blue Lagoon | DAVIDsTEA || Herbal

Caffeine: none
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 93° C/200° F | 3-4 min
Ingredients: blueberry, cornflower petals, elderberry, lemongrass, pineapple | pineapple, ash, berries, and lemon zest flavours

L - without lemon | R - with lemon

Have you guys ever heard of DAVIDsTEA? It's a Canadian tea company that I'll be talking about a lot in this series. If anyone is interested, DAVIDsTEA ships to both Canada and America. You always get 3 tea samples with your order, and the shipping cost is $5 for purchases less than $50 and free for orders of $50 and over. 


Blue Lagoon is a herbal tea that was featured in the DAVIDsTEA Spring 2014 Collection. The collection teas are quite often difficult to find after the season is over, so if you like a tea make sure to purchase it before it sells out!

What I find interesting is that this tea shows up as dark grey/brown when steeped. However, when you add lemon, the tea assumes a red/orange shade that I find typical for herbal teas.

3 || Organic Silk Dragon Jasmine | DAVIDsTEA || Green

Caffeine: medium
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 80° C/176° F | 2-3 min
Ingredients: Organic Chinese green tea from Jianxi Province | naturally scented with jasmine flowers


This is my favourite tea! I used to hate regular green tea because it smelled like fish sometimes (weird, I know). Luckily, I don't have any problems when the tea is flavoured with jasmine. Thanks to this tea (and the one I keep having at my favourite Chinese restaurant), I love green tea now!

FUN FACT: Did you know that green tea helps in increasing your metabolism?

4 || Grape Expectations | DAVIDsTEA || Green

Caffeine: medium
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 85° C/185° F | 3-4 min
Ingredients: Organic - green tea, raisins, cornflower | natural grape flavouring
 

I tried this tea for the first time last week and I loved it! I love the taste, and I love the witty name that is meant to remind you of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations while letting you know that this tea is grape-flavoured.

Grape Expectations is also part of the Spring Collection, so I need to stock up on it ASAP before it sells out!

5 || Dragon Pearls | DAVIDsTEA || Green

Caffeine: medium
How to prepare: 1.25 tsp | 85° C/185° F | 3-4 min
Ingredients: Chinese green tea from Zhejiang Province | scented with jasmine flowers


I quite like this tea as well. It tastes very much like Dragon Jasmine, but the jasmine scent is a lot stronger.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to be experimenting with the format of these posts in the weeks to come, but hopefully you found this first tea post informative!

Do you drink tea? If so, do you have a favourite? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Thank you for reading! -A.~

No comments:

Post a Comment