Friday, January 23, 2015

- - Glossybox | December 2014 Review - -


Well, fellow Canadians, we have waited long enough - Glossybox is finally here!


As some of you might be aware, there used to be a Glossybox faction here in Canada. They closed operations in May 2013 and this came as a surprise to a lot of people, so I'm sure that set off a lot of bitterness in Canada. I missed all of these events by a few months since it was late in October that I got into subscriptions and started Magnificent Road.

Luckily for me and for anyone who has been wanting to try Glossybox or has been missing this subscription box, Glossybox US announced in November of 2014 that they were starting shipping to Canada. How exciting is that?? I used to have such a desire to sign up for Glossybox back in 2013 - especially since I signed up for their emails and saw the wonderful products and promotions that their US customers were getting. Finally...it is here!

Read more after the jump...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
What is Glossybox? 
Glossybox is a subscription-based beauty sampling service that delivers 5
high-end, niche, and trendy deluxe and full-sized samples to your door every month.

Frequency: monthly  
Subscription Plans:
     Monthly = $21
     3- Month Package =
$60

     6-Month Package = $115
     12-Month Package = $220
Billing Date: between the 1st and 10th of every month
Ships to: US and Canada
Shipping Cost: $5 (for Canadian addresses)

Shipping Date: 14 days after payment is processed (typically 3rd of 4th week of the month)

Rewards Program: You can collect 20 GLOSSYDots for filling out surveys for your products and receive a varied number of GLOSSYDots for referring your friends. Every 1000 GLOSSYDots earns you a free box! (offer not available on fixed rate plans - aka 3, 6, and 12-month plans)


(A kind thank you to anyone who would like to use my referral link when signing up!) 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on the photos to enlarge them!


You know what? Even before I opened my box Glossybox received an A+ for overall presentation. The packaging was so elegant and careful that you feel like you are receiving a luxurious special treat. Here's a confession - I will most likely not be throwing out this box and I will soon turn into a box hoarder (if I am not one already!).


I didn't look at it right away, but there was a product card on top of the wrapping. I love the folded nature of it! I've never seen a card like this before.


You can find a brief description of each product and the "tip" blurb describes how to use each item.

 
 *Please note that all of the prices are in US dollars.*

1 | Mini Paint Pot in Yule Rules (Ciaté)
      (FULL SIZE: $10.00 for 5 mL/0.17 oz)
      (Link to product)


This sparkling turquoise will turn your mani from day-time to party time in one stroke!

Tip - apply the glitter only in the center of your nail for instant twinkling nail art. Don't be afraid of creating a different look on each finger.

Swatch - 2 coats

To avoid any confusion - this is a full-sized mini polish. Still confused? Haha, yeah, me too. From what I've seen, the full-full-sized polishes cost around $17, so it's pretty incredible that this mini costs so much. I've never tried any Ciaté polishes, but I've heard a lot about them and about the brand itself, so I'm totally excited to try this polish!

Yule Rules is a festive glitter topper that is a little sparse but I'm pretty sure it would be full-coverage with several coats. The formula is quite easy to work with, which is a bonus in my books! I wouldn't have minded getting Humbug either (black and white glitter topper), but I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of YR.

Psst: the Ciaté holiday minis are on sale for $3.00-$5.00 right now!

2 | Leave In Conditioner (Toni&Guy)
      (
FULL SIZE: $16.99 for 100 mL/3.3 oz)
      (Link to product)

  
For the perfect pre-styling foundation, protect and prime strands with this leave-in conditioner. Inspired by hair stylists' needs and created for all-day nourishment, this winter-combating formula helps tame frizz and improves manageability.

Tip - comb a nickel-sized amount through hair for even distribution before air drying or heat styling.


I always like trying out new products, so I'm pretty happy that I got something I've never tried before - leave-in conditioner. At least...I'm pretty sure I've never tried it, have I? If I have then clearly no leave-in conditioners have made any impression on me. I do have to test this product out a bit more, but so far it seems to work well in managing frizz and it smells excellent.

3 | Mineral Lipstick in Burlesque (Bellápierre Cosmetics)
      (
FULL SIZE: $19.99 for 3.5 g/0.12 oz)
      (Link to product)


The perfect pairing for your little black dress can be found in this little black tube. Formulated with mineral pigments, iron oxides and antioxidants, this silky, 100% natural bright fuchsia shade will last for hours, and is formulated without any of the bad stuff.

Tip - to ensure your teeth will remain lipstick-free, place your freshly painted lips around your index finger and pull your finger forward, so the excess lip color ends up there rather than your teeth.


What can I say? It's a lipstick! Without even finding out what the shade was I already knew that I liked it.
 

I am a total hoarder when it comes to lip products (the people I work with would know!). Of course I do have my favourites, but for the most part I just love trying out new colours and I'm not too picky about which ones they are.


Life is too short to not experiment with lipsticks, you know? 


I don't find Burlesque too bright. It's a fuchsia that is a bit on the darker side. The formula itself is only a bit moisturizing and it does seem to have the tiniest rough particles inside, but the colour looks great on and the lipstick itself smells very nice. 

4 | Masque Crème Fraîche De Beauté (Nuxe)
      (
FULL SIZE: $32.00 for 50 mL/1.7 oz)
      (Link to product)


Get hydrated fast with this skin-calming rescue treatment, full of moisturizing ingredients like plant milk and aloe vera sap. Featuring the fresh scent of orange blossom, this hypoallergenic mask provides up to 24 hours of intensive relief from winter weather.

Tip - apply the mask generously to the face and undereye contours. After 10 minutes, massage the unabsorbed product deeper into extremely dehydrated skin, or remove with a cotton pad and toner.


I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds great on paper and has a lot of good reviews on the web. What I find intriguing is that you do have the option to either pat the mask in after keeping it on for 10 minutes or wiping it off. Interesting! I guess it just depends on whether you need the hydration or not. I think I would prefer to wipe it off, but I'll see what happens when I try it out. Actually, maybe I'll try this on my super dry hands first.

5 | Miracle Scrub in Ginseng & Ginkgo Biloba (Ritual Cosmetics)
      (
FULL SIZE: $17.00 for 75 mL/2.5 oz)
      (Link to product)


Talk about heaven scent! From the Dutch beauty brand, centered on turning daily routines into meaningful moments, comes this delectable hand scrub which combines the energizing properties of ginseng with nourishing ginkgo biloba for the softest hands possible.

Tip - scrub and massage a dime-sized amount in a circular motion onto dry hands, then rinse.
 


I haven't tried this either, but I think I will use this hand scrub first and then I'll try out the Nuxe mask. I was surprised (and tiny bit disappointed) that there's not really any kind of distinct ginseng scent to this scrub at all. Don't get me wrong though - the fragrance is very pleasant. It kind of reminds me of a light chamomile scent. I can't wait to try this out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

  || Total Value: $95.98 (US) ||

At this point you probably aren't even surprised when I say this, but this box was a complete win for me. I'm really glad that Glossybox decided to ship to Canada and I got to try it out because now I can see just how detail-oriented this subscription box really is. Starting from the design of the box (which was obviously holiday-oriented) down to the experience itself of opening your products totally blew me away! I'm really surprised that all 5 items were full-size and I'm even happier that I can find use for all of them.

It does take around 3 months to really know if you like a box or not, so we'll have to see what Glossybox brings me in February and March. Until then, if you would like to sign up for Glossybox, the January is sold out at this point, but the February box sign-ups are starting on February 1st. Thank you very much if you would like to use my referral link when signing up.

Thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment